You’re invited to a PANCAKE PARTY!
Shrove Tuesday – 5th March at Redbourn Cricket Pavilion, Coffee on the Common
Refreshments from 9.15am, Pancakes from 11.00am to 1.00pm
In aid of our Charity of the Year for 2019, Youth Talk
Please do come and join us for a pancake in aid of this great cause.
We are delighted to announce that our St Mary’s Charity of the Year for 2019 will be YouthTalk.
YouthTalk is a charity based in St Albans which offers professional counselling to 13-25 year olds in the District of St Albans. Such support has been shown to be effective in tackling a wide range of issues from family and school problems to depression, eating disorders and other mental health problems.
We are constantly reminded of the pressures placed on young people’s mental wellbeing by the modern world, particularly social media which exerts levels of peer pressure unlike any faced by previous generations. Research shows that one in four of today’s young people are likely to suffer with a mental health issue in their lives, and many suffer in silence.
YouthTalk provides a safe, confidential space for them and also provides information services to parents, carers and schools.
We have a full programme of fundraising activities planned throughout the year, including:
- Carols & Beer in December 2018 which began our fundraising for YouthTalk by raising £1113 – many thanks to the Cricketers and all those who donated on the night.
- Photography Workshops at St Mary’s from which 100% of proceeds will be donated to YouthTalk – click here for further details or to book a place on one of the workshops
- A Bluebell Afternoon Tea in late April – further information will be available nearer the time
- A Variety Concert
- plus more events and fundraising initiatives throughout the year
Can you help? Perhaps you could:
- Undertake a sponsored challenge in aid of YouthTalk?
- Volunteer to help at some of the events above?
- Make a donation via our online fundraising page?
Please get in touch for further information or to volunteer to help in some way.
On Sunday 6th January a cheque for £12,905 was presented to Jan Burt, a representative of Dementia UK, as the final sum raised by our charity fundraising efforts throughout 2018.
Fundraising events included a pancake party, a quiz night at The Cricketers pub, a Golf Day at Stocks Golf Club, a sponsored marathon walk by siblings Anne Ross and Iain Bryson, and numerous other donations were made from open gardens, Teddy Tots breakfasts, raffles and individual donations. We also ran a discussion evening called ‘Lets Talk About Dementia’ with a panel of experts.
A further £600 was raised for a new charity ‘Music for my Mind’ which helps people suffering with Dementia through the provision of personalised music playlists.
Enormous thanks to all who have supported our fundraising efforts throughout the year, both financially and through giving their time to make so many of these events possible.