Our Charity of the Year for 2020-21 is:
We are delighted to announce that our St Mary’s Charity of the Year for 2020 will be Pumps for Mpwapwa.
Pumps for Mpwapwa is a project to provide a solar-powered water pump in the village of Msagali, Tanzania, in partnership with the Diocese of Mpwapwa.
Farmers in Tanzania are heavily dependent on unreliable and unpredictable weather conditions. Whilst being considered self-sufficient in staple foods, half the 30 regions of Tanzania have experienced food shortages and insecurity in the last 5-7 years due to extreme weather conditions.
This project, led by the Diocese of Mwpapwa’s Development Department, aims to improve food security, nutrition and the livelihoods of the local community in and around Msagali village, through the provision of a reliable water source.
After a full geological survey, a deep water well will be dug and a solar pump installed, with distribution facilities to allow irrigation for farmers in and around Msagali village. It is expected that 150 families will benefit from better food security and nutrition as a result.
The project will cost £30,000 and we have committed to raise at least £15,000 towards this in 2020. We will work with the Diocese of Mpwapwa to find sources of funding for the remaining £15,000.
We have a full programme of fundraising activities planned throughout the year, including:
- Carols & Beer in December 2019 which began our fundraising for Pumps for Mpwapwa by raising £1,436 – many thanks to the Cricketers and all those who donated on the night.
- Concert by Quartet Camerata in January 2020 which raised £1,055
- Silent Film Night with organ improvisation
- Golf Day
- Saxophone Quartet Concert
- Art Exhibition and Sale
- African Drumming Workshop
- plus more events and fundraising initiatives throughout the year
We need your help to reach this ambitious fundraising target. Please have a think about how you might be able to get involved. Could you:
- Take on a sponsored challenge – marathon, 10k, swim, cycle, or something more unusual?
- Make products to sell at a monthly ‘Marketplace’ stall after Sunday services?
- Plan your own fundraising event?
- Suggest funding sources who might be able to help us with match funding to get the project underway?
- Make a donation via our online giving page?
Please get in touch for further information or to volunteer to help in some way.