St Mary’s Church has a programme of fundraising to support local, national, and international charities. In the last six years this programme has raised nearly forty seven thousand pounds for a range of charities.
Our Charity of the Year for 2018 is:
We are raising money to help Dementia UK provide the specialist dementia support that families need. Your donations will be used to help increase the number of ‘Admiral Nurses’ working in the community.
What is an Admiral Nurse?
Admiral Nurses provide specialist dementia support for families. When things get challenging or difficult, our nurses work alongside people with dementia, and their families: giving them one-to-one support, expert guidance and practical solutions. The unique dementia expertise and experience an Admiral Nurse brings is a lifeline–it helps families to live more positively with dementia in the present, and to face the challenges of tomorrow with more confidence and less fear.
Most Admiral Nurses work in the community for the NHS, and others work in care homes, hospitals and hospices.
How can an Admiral Nurse help?
- If communication gets hard, we’re on hand with skills and techniques to help you stay connected to the person you love.
- If someone with dementia is showing signs of fear or distress, we’ll work with you to find the best ways of preventing or managing this.
- If your family is struggling to cope, we’ll be there to help you get your loved one the best possible additional care and support.
- If you have questions you can’t get answered we’ll take the time to really understand the problem, and give you the expert support you need to tackle it.
We have an exciting schedule of fundraising events and activities for our 2018 Charity of the Year, including:
- A Pancake Party on Shrove Tuesday, 13th February
- A Pub Quiz at The Cricketers on Sunday 25th February
- A Charity Golf Day at Stocks Golf Club on Friday 18th May
- A Concert by Dagnall Community Choir on Saturday 16th June
- plus more events and activities
As well as raising money, we want to provide practical support for people suffering with dementia in our local community. We will be working with a local care home to provide a rota of regular and committed volunteers to give their time and company to those who most need it, and working with charity Music for my Mind to explore how personalised music playlists can make a real difference to those suffering from dementia.
How could you help?
- Support our fundraising events (see above)
- Give your time to volunteer as a visitor at a local care home
- Do a sponsored event for Dementia UK (10k? Swim? Cycle? Marathon? Triathlon?….)
- Make a donation – click here to donate online
- Think of your own fundraising activities….
or to donate by cheque, please print off a donation form: