We are delighted to announce that our St Mary’s Charity of the Year for 2019 will be YouthTalk.
YouthTalk is a charity based in St Albans which offers professional counselling to 13-25 year olds in the District of St Albans. Such support has been shown to be effective in tackling a wide range of issues from family and school problems to depression, eating disorders and other mental health problems.
We are constantly reminded of the pressures placed on young people’s mental wellbeing by the modern world, particularly social media which exerts levels of peer pressure unlike any faced by previous generations. Research shows that one in four of today’s young people are likely to suffer with a mental health issue in their lives, and many suffer in silence.
YouthTalk provides a safe, confidential space for them and also provides information services to parents, carers and schools.
We have a full programme of fundraising activities planned throughout the year, including:
- Carols & Beer in December 2018 which began our fundraising for YouthTalk by raising £1113 – many thanks to the Cricketers and all those who donated on the night.
- Photography Workshops at St Mary’s from which 100% of proceeds will be donated to YouthTalk – click here for further details or to book a place on one of the workshops
- A Bluebell Afternoon Tea in late April – further information will be available nearer the time
- A Variety Concert
- plus more events and fundraising initiatives throughout the year
Can you help? Perhaps you could:
- Undertake a sponsored challenge in aid of YouthTalk?
- Volunteer to help at some of the events above?
- Make a donation via our online fundraising page?
Please get in touch for further information or to volunteer to help in some way.